Fresh, Fun Ingredients: The Ultimate Guide To Flavoring Homemade Iced Tea
Have you ever tried to “flavor up” your own home-brewed iced tea only to become overwhelmed by ingredient options? Our advice is to keep it simple – you can accomplish a lot with just a couple of flavors. And don’t dismiss the old iced tea standbys, sugar and lemon. They’re popular for a reason! They really make iced tea, especially black tea and hibiscus tea, a lot more refreshing. Choose your tea and then select your fruit, herb or spice, sweetener, a garnish and, if you’re making an iced-tea cocktail, a liquor type that complements (i.e., doesn’t dominate) the flavor combinations you’ve chosen.
Check out how we’ve paired three different types of Luzianne® Iced Tea with some of our favorite ingredients and flavor combinations to create iced tea that will refresh and delight your family and friends on any occasion.
Luzianne® Iced Tea
Our classic iced tea blend of orange pekoe & pekoe cut black teas has a bold taste that can handle strong flavorings. It’s also versatile and can blend well with flavors like mint, strawberries and raspberries – with or without alcohol.
Iced Tea Flavor Pairings
- Peaches & Lemon
- Cranberry, Orange & Spiced Rum
- Lime, Pineapple, Cinnamon & Tequila
Iced Tea Recipes
Iced Tea Tips
- Have fun with tea garnishes: sprigs of herbs, lemon or orange wheels, apple slices, whole strawberries (extra delightful when dipped in sugar!), frozen strawberries or blueberries (float them on top of the drink).
- To keep it simple but add amazing flavor, zest a strip or two of lemon, lime or orange skin and toss into your tea while it’s brewing.
- When adding fruit to iced tea, you can chop, puree or muddle (slightly crush) it to release the flavors into the tea. If you don’t want solids in the drink, just strain before serving over ice.
Luzianne® Iced Green Tea
The mild, smooth and delicate flavor of Luzianne® Iced Green Tea allows you to blend in your favorite berries, herbs and spices and sweeten with your favorite sweetener.
Iced Green Tea Flavor Pairings
- Ginger, Lemongrass & Mint
- Honey, Raspberries & Lemon
- Berry Medleys (Strawberry, Blueberry, Raspberry) & Sugar
Iced Green Tea Recipes
Iced Green Tea Tips
- Herbs such as ginger and lemongrass release their full flavor when infused in hot water.
- Other herbs, such as mint, can be crushed slightly (with your hands or with a mortar & pestle) to release their flavor, then infused in cold water.
Luzianne® Hibiscus Iced Tea
Our Hibiscus Iced Tea contains hibiscus flowers and has a slightly tart, cranberry-like flavor with delicate floral notes. It’s perfect for iced tea and best paired with sweet, fruity or herbal flavor combinations and light, fruity wine or sparkling wine.
Hibiscus Iced Tea Flavor Pairings
- Strawberry, Apple, Lemon & Prosecco
- Honey, Mint & Lemon
Hibiscus Iced Tea Recipes
Hibiscus Iced Tea Tips
- Freeze brewed Hibiscus Iced Tea to make sorbet, slushes or frozen lollipops.
- For extra fruity flavor, double the tea bags when brewing.